Saturday, April 21, 2012

Crash and Burn

Everyone has a limit to how much pain he or she can tolerate. I always considered mine higher than most, but when I was in an auto accident a decade ago I was left in a state of chronic, at times debilitating, pain. To combat this pain I have taken a whole smorgasbord of medications, including narcotics; some have worked better than others, but none have actually offered the kind of relief I would consider adequate to return to a "normal life."

Another very annoying problem resulting from the accident was insomnia. I get very little sleep at night, and what I do get is of such a poor nature it's like I haven't slept at all. At one point I went from Tuesday night to Friday morning without so much as a nod-off. Take my word for it, going three days without sleep is its own form of pain.

So after a few years I decided to ignore the warnings on the prescriptions and have a drink at night to help me sleep, since nothing else was helping. And in fact it did -- at first anyway -- but predictably there came a time when one drink sufficed no more. You know where this is going surely: crash and burn. In my case, kidney failure and near death experience. But I'll save that for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment